Monday, August 1, 2011

Follow The Rules


Exodus 20:2-3 - I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt, where you were slaves. Worship no god but me.

I am a reluctant driver, but recently God has helped me venture out in our car a little more. I play Christian music to encourage me. As I gain confidence, I take the car for longer drives. But sometimes I find that I do not know the rules of the road.

I remind myself that I need to take the time to brush up on the rules. When I follow the rules I am safer. Failure to obey the rules (ignorance not being a valid excuse) could result in a fine, or worse -- an accident in which people are injured.

I have been thinking that following rules of the Bible is like following rules of the road. We need to know what is in our Bible, just as we need to know what is in the driver's handbook, before we can set out to follow the rules.

I compare the Motor Vehicle Act to the Ten Commandments. "It is illegal to run a red light" is equivalent to "You shall have no other gods before me." When we break traffic laws or disobey God's laws we suffer the consequences.

By running a red light we steer headlong into trouble, bodily injury, or possibly death, resulting in separation from family and friends. When we seek and serve gods of fame, fortune, pleasure or self, we head straight for a life of sin, spiritual poverty, and eventual separation from God.

As we grow in faith, and become more comfortable following God, we will want to go the distance with Him, in a similar manner to that in which I now drive further in my car than before.

Prayer: Faithful God, you are a God who goes with us through life. Help us to desire more and more to travel with you at our side during the journey. Make us willing servants who obey your laws. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Blog Directory EasyHits4U.com - Your Free Traffic Exchange - 1:1 Exchange Ratio, 5-Tier Referral Program. FREE Advertising!